I couldn't help but overhear Sega's announcement of Puyo Puyo Fever 2 -
and the fact that of all things Arle was once again booted from the primary
cast. It was bad enough that all she got was a cameo in the first Fever - and
Sega would keep her from the spotlight of the game that was originally hers?
The game that she and the rest of the cast of Madou Monogatari brought to
fruition? Y'know, I'm beginning to wonder if she'll even be in the game at all,
locked in a closet somewhere to keep her from the game that's supposed to be
hers along with another girl from another puzzle game that ended up getting
overrun by pocket monsters...
I wouldn't be so smug if I was you. At the rate Sega screws over their franchises,
you'll be the one in here next year!
Yes, that's right. Puyo Fever 2. And no Arle. Sacreliege, I tell you!
This was a large scale picture in Photoshop 7; the final full size ended being
something like 12x21". Coloring and shadows were done in Photoshop as normal...
and the background image was pencilled and markered on paper. I wanted to do
something cool and obscure so I ended up adding in references to series that
were mutilated for US release, dragged into the ground or haven't been seen for
a long while. I ended up forgetting about one reference I really wanted to add
until AFTER the image was finished, and Arle's head ended up blocking one
reference entirely and obscuring another. I did manage to fix it in Photoshop,
thank the gods.
The full list of background references is:
- Tetris blocks: Tetris series. Tetris Worlds continues the grand tradition of dragging the series through the mud.
- Toyota Sprinter Trueno (AE86): Initial D. Tokyopop, why the fudge did you have to replace the music? It was perfect in the first place! And don't get me started on the manga!
- Mushroom: Super Mario series. Mario Sunshine did not appeal to me. I played it once and didn't feel like cleaning it out after I finished. Mario 64 was a better game.
- Chocobo, White Mage and Mog plushies: Final Fantasy series. X pissed me off. X-2 was purely fanservice. And XI was online only. It's been going downhill since VII, and I don't even want to try XII at this point.
- Kunio's uniform: Kunio series. Seriously, River City Ransom was quite kickass and we never got the sequels. We want a new - and I mean new, not a remake - Kunio game! They rock!
- Straw hat: One Piece. I hate you with a loathing passion, 4Shame^H^H^H^H^HKids Entertainment.
- Sophia tank: Blaster Master. The Playstation remake was a piss-poor adaptation of an awesome - if hard - game.
- Pokeball: Pocket Monsters series. The last good game was a remake of the original - you tell me, is that sad?
- Cards: Yu-Gi-Oh!. The series was insanely cool up until the point that Kazuki Takahashi focused solely on the card game, and the dub ended up destroying everyone's characters in the process. On that note, it's done pretty good for itself considering the whole game is a parody of Magic: The Gathering.
- Bow, arrows and wings: Kid Icarus. Last seen as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
- Key of Star: Cardcaptor Sakura. I contemplated throwing Sakura into the picture as well, but settled for this instead. That series was butchered worse than anything 4Kids has ever done - or could possibly ever do - and I thank the gods that Pioneer saw fit to release the full series and both movies in an uncut form.
- Gold bricks: Pitfall!. Almost forgout about that one, and man did the reincarnations get hosed.
The reference I missed: Mike's yoyo from Startropics. If you've never heard
of the game... well, your loss.
Anyway, now I rant. I was wholly pleased at Photoshop 7's responsiveness in
this endeavor - and to think I'm not even done yet. I still need to tweak the
image but the bulk of the work is done.
View and comment on this image at deviantArt
Alternate images: Amite and Pikachu - Sketch Inked Arle - Sketch Inked Lip - Sketch Inked Background original
Return to the artwork index